|Original Game:||Persona 5|
|Video Game:||Super Smash Bros. Ultimate|
|Represented Song:||Life Will Change|
Ren is a downloadable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's Fighter's Pass, as well the eleventh third-party character to appear in the series, following Solid Snake, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud Strife, Bayonetta, Simon Belmont, Richter Belmont, and Ken Masters. He also is the third character representing SEGA in the Smash Bros. universe, after Sonic the Hedgehog and Bayonetta.
Ren is a second year high school student who transfers to Shujin Academy in the spring in Tokyo near Aoyama-Itchome. He lives in a coffee shop called Cafe Leblanc, located in Yongen-Jaya and owned by Sojiro Sakura, an acquaintance of his parents. He becomes classmates with Ryuji Sakamoto and Ann Takamaki, who join him in his endeavors alongside the mysterious talking cat, Morgana, and multiple others. This group comprises the Phantom Thieves of Hearts, a group of often-downtrodden teenagers (and cat) whose purpose is to steal the hearts of corrupt adults in order to create a reformed society.
In first glance, Ren can easily be perceived as unassuming and submissive. He appears to be a quiet and docile student, but this behavior is a necessary mask that hides his trickster's heart. In the esoteric realm in which the Thieves take action, the Metaverse, Joker is a cocky and confident individual — even in situations where his life is in danger. He also has a flair for showing off and making dramatic decisions, such as leaping through the stained-glass window of the Casino that his team infiltrates.
Ren is extremely resistant to rigid and dogmatic forms of control-based authority and order. He has received much criticism, insults, opposition and even death threats for his rebellious nature, whether it be his targets, school staff, disapproving comments left on the Phantom Aficionado Website, or corrupt figures themselves. However, despite all this, the Phantom Thieves have also received a good deal of support from many who have been similarly marginalized.
Full credits go to this Smashboards forum. (Please note that this concept was created before Joker's reveal, and thus does not necessarily reflect his true moveset. Not too often that fanon articles like this turn out to come true, huh.)
- Neutral Combo/Jab: Downward swipe -> upward and jump swipe -> finish with a downward swipe. His Attack animation in Persona 5.
- Forward Tilt: Ren steps forward and stabs his dagger forward twice,
- Up Tilt: Ren tosses his dagger upwards.The dagger will spin in the air for a brief time before going back to his hand, leaving a lingering hitbox behind.
- Down Tilt: Ren slides forward, much like Cloud's Down Tilt.
- Dash Attack: Ren performs a dashing double-kick forwards.
- Forward Smash: Ren lunges and does a vertical slice downward (very similar to Falco's F-Smash), as if he attacked an enemy in the overworld but didn't get the ambush in P5.
- Up Smash: Ren lunges and swipes his dagger upwards.
- Down Smash: Ren swipes his dagger on both sides of him quickly.
- Neutral Air: Ren performs a 360° spin with his dagger.
- Forward Air: Ren performs two kicks in front of him, similar to Ganondorf.
- Back Air: Ren swipes his dagger behind him in a similar fashion to Marth's B-Air.
- Up Air: Ren spins and kicks in the air like Sheik/Greninja.
- Down Air: Ren sweeps his dagger downwards. If Joker has Persona active, Arsene will kick downwards, sending his opponent downwards.
Grabs & Throws
- Grab Pummel: Ren punches his opponent in the gut.
- Forward Throw: Ren stabs his opponent with his dagger.
- Back Throw: Ren tosses his opponent backwards in a similar fashion to Marth and Roy, but unlike their Back Throws, Ren's sends his opponent farther away and is capable of killing at higher percents.
- Up Throw: Ren elegantly tosses his opponent upwards.
- Down Throw: Ren tosses his opponent downwards.
- Floor (Back): Ren pushes himself up and kicks the opponent.
- Floor (Front): Ren does a small slide.
- Floor (Trip): Ren slashes the opponent's feet and sends them to the ground.
Neutral B (Normal): Gun - Joker fires his gun at a steady pace. Bullets fired from it travel decently far, but don't deal a lot of damage. Jumping while holding B down will cause Joker to twist and fire his gun directly downwards rapidly. Pressing the Control Stick up in the air while holding B will cause Joker to perform a 360° spin, firing bullets around him.
Side B (Normal): Eiha - Joker snaps and launches a circular spiral of black and red energy a short distance in front of him, and upon hitting a foe, it will inflict them with a Curse status, dealing minor damage to them over a short period of time.
Up B (Normal): Grappling Hook - Joker pulls out a grappling hook and throws it upward. The hook can be used as either a tether recovery, or as a means of forcing an airborne opponent back to the ground for a combo.
Down B (Normal): Rebel's Guard - Ren holds his mask, causing him to glow with blue fire. If he's hit while performing this move, he'll take reduced damage, as well as fill his Rebellion Gauge. If you hold down the button and release it after getting attacked, Ren will push his opponent back. When the gauge is filled, he will summon Arsene, who will boost the damage output and knockback of all of his moves.
Neutral B (Persona): Gun Special - Joker fires his gun in three shot bursts. Other than dealing more damage, much hasn't changed from normal Gun.
Side B (Persona): Eigaon - Joker snaps, and with the help of Arsene, he launches a slightly larger circular spiral of black and red energy, which along with more range, has more up-front damage, and increases the amount of damage taken from the Curse status.
Up B (Persona): Wings of Rebellion - Arsene and Joker take to the skies on Arsene's wings, traveling even higher than Inkling's Up B. While it doesn't deal damage at all during the move, it does have a good deal of invicibility, making it harder for opponents to punish.
Down B (Persona): Tetrakarn/Makarakarn - Joker holds his mask, summoning a barrier around him that can counter both melee attacks and projectiles. Melee attacks will be countered with Tetrakarn, while projectiles will be reflected by Makarakarn.
- All-Out Attack: A trapping cinematic Final Smash. Ren lunges forward with a dagger slash and anyone caught in it will be attacked by him and 3 other Phantom Thieves, and those change randomly. The move does 30% damage, but it instantly KOs anyone over 100% damage. If it's a stock match and Ren KOs any remaining enemies that reached over 100%, then a unique victory screen appears before the match ends.
- Up: Ren faces his back to the screen, similar to his win animation against a boss in Persona 5, with Morgana appearing next to him and smiling while giving a short laugh.
- Down: Ren pulls on the cuff of his glove while smiling. Morgana also hops onto the scene, saying: "Looking cool, Joker!"
- Side: Joker waves his hand in a "come on" fashion towards his opponent.
- (Arsene will appear and perform a pose each time Joker taunts while he's present, but it stays the same, no matter the direction of taunt used.)
The Metaverse effect appears as Ren emerges from it.
- Ren performs his typical victory animation from Persona 5: walking for a little bit while waving Morgana to follow before running. After going to the results screen, Ren will say "Begone!, Nice!, or Hah!".
- Ren gets on the Morgana Car as they drive away, similar to the Mementos victory animation from Persona 5.
- Classic Mode Credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw85DBGv-p8
- Victory Jingle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjAxrkEAN_w (In constant loop)
(This may not apply, but I'll keep it here, because trophies are cool, and RIP trophies.)
Joker has a trophy that is awarded each time Classic mode is completed with him on any difficulty.
- Joker: "A teenager who was forced to move from his hometown after an influential public figure accused him of a crime he didn't commit. On the surface he appears to be a common high schooler, but below that is the leader of the Phantom Thieves of Hearts, a mysterious group that seeks to change society."
- Persona 5, 2017
- Persona Q2
Coincidentally, Joker also has a trophy of him in his normal form, which is unlocked after beating Classic on Hard with him.
- Ren Amamiya: "Ren's parents used their connections to secure room and board for Ren at Café Leblanc. Although he acts as a normal high schooler, in secret he, troubled by the deception and hypocrisy that surrounds him and his friends, seeks to change society as a whole alongside his fellow Phantom Thieves."
- Persona 5, 2017
- Persona Q2
- Ren is the first character in the Smash Bros series to be considered a criminal.
- Ren is also the first character to have a support character appear for his taunts.